building a boot disk

I would really like to be able to build a system up from scratch. While I appreciate the excellence that is debian, I find that for understanding how everything fits together building a system up from scratch helps. Initially I only had the debian install disks, and I had to ftp XFree86 myself and it seemed to make sense, so now I want to do the same for a complete system. I need to be able to download EVERY component from the net and cobble together a boot disk, then be able to ftp the rest or copy it off some other media (disk or cd). Ideally the building of a boot disk sould be able to be done under any OS, but I'll bow to the groups wisdom in that aspect.
If someone can supply some good pointers or and idiot proof guide then I'd be grateful. This is probably a really stupid idea but I want to do it anyway.

Thanks