Re: Sound Card

On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 06:35:00PM -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 05:48:57PM +1300, Michael Beattie wrote:
> > On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Collin Rose wrote:
> >
> > > How do I configure my sound card in linux? io=220 i=5
> > >

> > You have to recompile your kernel, and enable sound support, either as a
> > module, or built-in.
>
> That this is necessary is one thing that will definitely keep linux from
> being a consumer os. The average user expects sound and doesn't even
> know what a compiler is.

So what? Kernel compilation can be sufficiently automated, modules are
another solution. Making modules confgurable, too.

Ever tried the kernel-package? Building a kernel is as hard as entering two
lines verbatim from the docs, and configuring it. Configuration could be
improved with better documentation.

Marcus