dselect not updating.

dselect does not seem to want to update packages for me.  Previously, I
had set [A]ccess method to CD-ROM that had only contrib packages.  that
went fine.  But now, when I try to switch back to ftp access, everything
seems to go well, but dselect thinks only contrib packages are available.
So the only packages showing up in dselect were the contrib, and ones I
already installed.  Here's what I do:

Enter ftp site [ftp.debian.org]:
Use passive mode [y]:
Enter username [anonymous]:
If you are using anonymous ftp to retrieve files, enter your email
address for use as a password.  Otherwise enter your password,
or "?" if you want dpkg-ftp to prompt you each time.
Enter password [hello@oops.com]:
Enter debian directory [/debian]:
Go through an authenticated FTP proxy [n]:
Note: order here is important.  Package files are scanned in order so
later distributions will override earlier ones.
So put stable before unstable.
Enter space seperated list of distributions to get
[dists/stable/main dists/stable/non-free dists/stable/contrib]:
Enter directory to download binary package files to
(relative to /var/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/)
[debian]:
Using FTP to check directories...(stop with ^C)

and then when I run update....

Getting Packages files...(stop with ^C)

Connecting to ftp.debian.org...
Login as anonymous...
Setting transfer mode to binary...
Cd to `/debian'...

Checking for Packages file... dists/stable/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
 Already up-to-date; skipping.

Checking for Packages file...
dists/stable/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
 Already up-to-date; skipping.

Checking for Packages file... dists/stable/contrib/binary-i386/Packages.gz
 Already up-to-date; skipping.
No Packages files was updated.

Any ideas?