Re: Debian blues

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Leo Lincourt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just received the Debian CD's from Linux-Central, in addition to the
> Linux-Central Archive Discs and must admit to being to confused by a few
> things. Any help for a Linu newbie would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Issues:
> 1) The installation goes well, up to the point where dselect attempts to
> install the various packages. I have selected several different types of
> installations from Dial-Up to Developer to Std. Workstation and have
> encountered problems with all. It seems many packages are failing to
> install and configure due to missing dependent packages. For instance,
> e-macs.

Often on a new install it is necessary to run dselect two or more times.
It is best to just let it install the defaults the first time through and
add additional packages later.

> 2) Although the Dial-Up Installation installs gom, I do not see anyplace
> where the actual sound card driver is installed. Thinking that I needed
> to do this after the installation, I read the Linux Documentation
> Project's Sound Card How-To and attempted to install the sound card
> driver into the kernel. However when I try to execute 'make config',
> 'make menu-config', or 'make xconfig' as detailed in the How-To file, I
> get an error from make, saying that the particular object specified is
> not available. Is there a different process for Debian?

This indicates you probably have not installed a kernel-source package,
which is required in order to compile a kernel.

> 3) I am able to get XFree86 installed and configured and running using
> fvwm95, although the performance seems to be about on par with running
> Windows 95 on a 386 with 8 megs of RAM. I have a ATI Pro Turbo PC2TV
> card with 8 megs of RAM and 32 megs of system RAM and a 200 MHz Cyrix
> Pentium clone. Win 95 (without IE 4.01) runs very well (when it isn't
> crashing) on my system and from what I had heard about X-Windows, I
> could expect much better. However, when I drag a window about, the
> redraws are annoyingly visible. Am I expecting too much?

I'm running a much less-capable card (generic Cirrus 5428/2 MB) and notice
that it is typically slower than in win 95.  Since many of the X video
drivers are based on partial (or no) information from the card
manufacturers, I expect this is a factor in performance.

Bob

----