Re: beginner, system questions

On Thu, Oct 08, 1998 at 04:36:11PM -0700, Aldinga Library wrote:
> I have an NEC powermate 486 sx-25i , 4mb ram, 120mb hd and floppy drive
> only.
> I use the internet at the local public library.
> I have done a bare minimum install of 8 floppies by internet ftp.
>
> What commands do you use to view the manual and information pages that
> come with the system install.
> At the moment I am doing a,  gunzip -c pathname/filename.gz  for each
> page.
> I tried the,  man  command but the system doesn't recognize it.

zmore filename.doc.gz

You apparently have installed the base system correctly, but the base system
does not include the man pages or info pages. You will need to download and
install a number of packages to get your system up to a more "standard"
condition.

Ideally, the next step for you is get your current system connected to the
internet. Once this is done, package selection and installation can be done
with the dselect program.

It appears that you only have Internet at your local public library. This
complicates things for you, but you can still complete the installation. You
just need to download each package to floppy and then install the ackage
from floppy, but you know all this already.

I would start by downloading the info, man-db, manpages, libdb2, and groff
packages. This will get you the man pages and info program.

> How do you get a listing of all the commands available on the system.

I use the tab-comletion feature a lot. If you know the first letter of a
command, you can type the first letter then press the tab key twice. This
will print all executable files in your $PATH. Just pressing tab twice will
print all commands. You can capture the output with the script command, but
that is probably not installed. It might be though.

> Does the system colorize the difference in status of things.
> How do you activate this permanently.
> Is there some sort of downloadable referance or a book that explains all
> the system color options, more clearly and helps you understand how to
> enable or set these up.

The file /usr/doc/fileutils/color-ls.gz explains how to get color ls. Other
than that, there's not much else to know. You can use ansi escape sequences
(just like in dos) to get color text on the screen, as in

echo -e "\e[32mThis is a color"

Maybe I didn't understand your question?

> I don't know what mouse driver to install.

What type of mouse do you have? Is is a serial port mouse or a ps/2 type
mouse?