Re: boot floppies (july 21 1998) error ?

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, G. Kapetanios wrote:

> I am wondering whether the boot floppies in curent are ok.
> the rescue disk and drivers isk is working fine but when the base system
> gets installed and after all the floppies have been read (so no floppy
> eliability issue) the installation exits with an error.
> The same happens when installation from hard disk is carried out.
> Has something drastic chnged in those boot floppies

I had no problem installing from the (version 10) July 21 17:46 rescue
floppy and images of the drv1440.bin floppy and base2_0.tgz . (I used
this combination out of necessity the first time and convenience the
second.)

I presume you checked the .tgz file is a tgz and wasn't corrupted during
transfer. Does it produce the error message after reading the file (which
takes a while) or is it perhaps not finding the file at all. (I've had the
latter problem, but seem to remember I had time to read the error message.

The prompts for both the mounted and unmounted methods seem slightly long-
winded, but that might be my fault. Here's how I did it mounted, with the
files on a partition that normally has home (with debian as a 'user'), var
and tmp on it:

Switched to console 2, pressed return and typed:
mount /dev/sda4 /mnt
ls -l /mnt/home/debian/debian-2.0
umount /mnt
to make sure I can get to the debian archive.
^D and back to 1.
Install Operating System Kernel and Modules:
Verify Filesystem Choice /dev/sda2 /, 3 /usr, 4 /yeti, all ext2 (rw): yes
Medium for installation: mounted
Directory where debian archive resides:
/target/yeti/home/debian/debian-2.0/bootdisks/2.0.10_1998-07-21
Select directory containing resc1440.bin : manually
Directory: /target/yeti/home/debian/debian-2.0/bootdisks/2.0.10_1998-07-21

And here's how I did it for the unmounted method, with a DOS-formatted
zip disk connected to the parallel port at bootup, with the files in
\hammdisk\19980721.-10\*.* :

Install Operating System Kernel and Modules:
Verify Filesystem Choice /dev/hda8 /, 9 /usr, 10 /var, 11 /tmp, 12 /home,
all ext2 (rw): yes
Medium for installation: harddisk
Which partition: /dev/sda4
Choose the path: /hammdisk
Choose: manually
Directory: /instmnt/hammdisk/19980721.-10
Now it reads the rescue disk and drivers disk images from the zip drive.

Cheers,