Re: Hardware?

> I'm about to buy a new machine and wonder for which hardware to go. It won't
> be an expensive machine so I consider a cheap 3D AGP graphics card but
> wonder which one can be used under X. Also what's the better buy for the
> money, Pentium II or K6 II?

If you are into stuff like raytracing or other floating point intensive
calculations, Pentium II ot the newer Intel Celerons (the ones marked
with an extra `a' behind the MHz, also called `mendocino') are worth
the while.  If not, K6 is nice and cost effective.  Avoid the older
celeron models, they have no secondary cache.  A nice and
not-too-expensve AGP Card is the diamond viper 330.  It is well
supported in the last XFree version.  If I were you, I'd avoid graphics
cards which are going to have X support `real soon now'.  If you have
to choose between more MHz for your processor, or more memory, go for
more memory, since this usually gets you more performance per money.

Just MHO,
Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032