Re: Kernel compiling error

Ken Archer wrote:

> Came up with the following error trying to compile a development kernel.  The
> same kernel compiled fine on my Suse partition.
>
> as 86 -0 -a -o bboot sect.o bbootsect.s
> make [1]: as86: Command not found
> make [1]: *** [bbootsect.o] Error 127
> make [1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.1.122/arch/i386/boot
>
> Seems everything went ok till it tried to make the zImage in the boot
> directory.  Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it on Debian 2.0?

Install bin86.

bin86 - 16-bit assembler and loader

This is the as86 and ld86 distribution written by Bruce Evans. It's a
complete 8086 assembler and loader which can make 32-bit code for the
386+
processors (under Linux it's used only to create the 16-bit bootsector
and
setup binaries).

kernel-source-2.0.35 - Linux kernel source.

This package provides the source code for the Linux kernel, as well as
the
scripts that maintain the symbolic link /usr/src/linux).

You may configure the kernel to your setup by typing "make config" and
following instructions, but you could get ncursesX.X-dev and tk4X-dev
and
try "make menuconfig" for a jazzier, and easier to use interface. Also,
on
intel platforms, you may wish to get bin86 (if you wish to compile the
kernel sources, that is.) Also, please read
/usr/doc/kernel-source-V/README.headers.gz.

kernel-package - Debian Linux kernel package build scripts.

This package provides the capability to create a debian kernel-image
package by just running make-kpkg kernel_image in a kernel source
directory
tree.  It can also build the kernel source package as a debian file, the
kernel headers package. In general, this package is very useful if you
need
to create a custom kernel, if, for example, the default kernel does not
support some of your hardware, or you wish a leaner, meaner kernel.

If you are running on an intel x86 platform, and you wish to compile a
custom kernel (why else are you considering this package?), then you may
need the package bin86 as well.  (This is not required on other
platforms).

Noel