Re: Newbie questions

At 01:01 AM 10/8/1998 +1000, Nikolai Andreyevich Luzan wrote:
>> 2. How can I configure LILO to give me the option to boot using my DOS
>> partition (/dev/hda1)? It would be nice for it to give me a menu...
>To the best of my knowledge LILO does not do menus, if you put an

Yes, you can kludge together a menu. In the lilo.conf add a line like:
message = /boot/message.menu

Then edit the /boot/message.menu file to look something like:
Please enter 1 or 2, then press <ENTER>.
  1) Boot into DOS
  2) Boot into Linux

The label sections of each stanza in lilo.conf would then need to be
changed to something like:
other=/dev/hda1
	label=1
	table=/dev/hda

instead of having label=dos.

To force the menu to display without forcing the user to hold the shift key
down during boot-up, there's a command to add to lilo.conf. I don't
remember off the top of my head what it is, but it's something like "wait"
or "prompt". If you can't find the correct command, holler back and I'll do
some research on it (I've got a book that tells me, but it's at home and
I'm not).

Kent

Kent West, Technology Support
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu
Abilene Christian Univ., Abilene, TX
915-674-2557  FAX: 915.674.6724
Amateur Radio: KC5ENO
Debian Linux: Ride the wave with the penguins!