locked keyboard & messed screen

Hi,

	I having some troubles to reset keyb and screen of a linux server.
I can connect to it via ssh/telnet but can't reset its local login prompt.
The keyboard is locked, crtl+alt+func didn't work; the screen is messed
with several graphics patterns. The problem started just with a startx by
a normal user. I tried to put xdm and it works ok. Even with X running,
the virtual consoles doesn't work. When xdm stop things come back to caos.
	I tried some actions  (kill -HUP, MAKEDEV tty1-6) and can't
get the login prompt again.
	What could I do except shutdown the server?
	Thanks.

Mario O.de Menezes | "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but
IPEN-CNEN/SP       | is the Lord's purpose that prevails" Prov. 19.21