Re: Will pointing dselect to slink hose hamm system?

> In other words, how do I just get gnome (and its dependents) without
> messing up my hamm system and/or what dselect looks for in the future?

> Add the new source line in /etc/apt/sources.list, but leave the hamm one
> there as well.

Even easier -- Gnome has its own Debian site that contains *only* the
Gnome
packages.  Add this line to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/debian dists/released/

This will accomplish your immediate goal. In more general terms, though,
my approach has been to have a /debian/local directory on my hamm
system, and
throw any slink packages I want in there. I then have a line in my
sources.list like so:

deb file:/debian local/

Then, before firing up dselect, I build a Packages file for my local
stuff:

cd /debian
dpkg-scanpackages local /dev/null | gzip >local/Packages.gz

Once in dselect, remember to run [U]pdate...

Jim Russell
Cryptographic Engineer
LockStar, Inc.