Re: Multi-partitions

Just something to add to this (although Randy is correct):
Let's say you have a 1.2GB /dev/hda.  Make the partitions something
like this:

root@dino# fdisk -l
Disk /dev/hda: 64 heads, 63 sectors, 621 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *        1        1      258   500000    6  DOS FAT
/dev/hda2          259      259      264    10000   83  Linux native
/dev/hda3          265      265      589   623000   83  Linux native
/dev/hda3          589      589      621    62496   82  Linux swap

and you would have them mounted like this:

root@dino# mount
/dev/hda1 on /dos type msdos (rw)
/dev/hda2 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda3 on / type ext2 (rw)

Note that the /boot partition shown here as 10M can be as small as 3M,
and must be above that 1024 cylinder boundary.  This, however,
maximizes the space you can have for dos and still allow you to boot
into linux without LILO complaining.  Note also that you'll have to
move your kernel into the /boot directory, modify your /etc/lilo.conf
file to reflect that you moved the kernel, and then re-run lilo before
attempting to reboot linux.  I used a calculator to produce the values
show in the table above, so your actuall numbers will vary slightly..
but the principle is the same.  ;-)  Oh, as far as which one to
install first, go for debian.  After you install DOS, you'll most
likely have to use your debian's boot floppy to kickstart the machine
then re-run LILO, as DOS will overwrite the MBR (erasing LILO's boot
code).

 - DeJay.