Re: Scanners - SCSI card for ARTEC AT12

In <[🔎] Pine.SOL.3.95.981006113152.8024C-100000@incus>, on 10/06/98
   at 12:24 PM, H C Pumphrey <hcp@met.ed.ac.uk> said:

[...]
>No-one mentions the 3181x / 3151x so I can't tell from this what to do
>about my card. If anyone can tell me what to do or point me at the right
>documentation, I'd be grateful.

If it is neither on the supported nor unsupported list, chances are it is
unsupported.  Unless it is hardware compatible with something supported.
Your manual says nothing about compatibility?

You could of course try compiling a kernel supporting every scsi
controller linux can use and see if yours is detetected by any of the
drivers.

>Suggestions for that would be welcome, too - remember I only want the
>SCSI card for the scanner. Is the August 1996 SCSI-Howto still useful in
>this respect, or is it hopelessly out of date?
I ought to be useful.  There may be support for some newer cards, but you
want something cheap if the scanner is your only use.
Think carefully though, scsi is a good interface for disks.  Buying a good
scsi adapter now let you go for scsi the next time you need  more disk
space, whenever that may be.

Helge Hafting
helge.hafting@daldata.no