Re: Scanners - recommandations?

On 2 Oct 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> >>"John" == John Plate <plate@infotek.dk> writes:
>
>  John> I'm planning to buy a scanner. What type will work well with Linux?
>
> 	You should look into the SANE project. Specifically, the
>  backends (which are scanner specific) are detailed in
>  http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-backends.html
>
> 	I am happy with my inexensive UMAX Astra 1200S (threw away the
>  junky scsi card that came with it since I have a buslogic958).

 I second the SANE recommendation. There *are* other scanning programs
(e.g., XVScan, which is commercial and to my knowledge only supports HP
scanners but is supposed to be quite good) but SANE is (a) free, (b)
network-transparent, and (c) works on multiple platforms, eventually
including Windows.

 Two words of caution. First, parallel-port scanners are *not*
well-supported under Linux. Only a few are supported, and then only in an
experimental fashion. So, you'd best go SCSI.  Second, some cheap SCSI
scanners can "lock up" the SCSI bus during a scan. This can cause problems
if you have SCSI disks attached to the same SCSI controller. This isn't
necessarily a big problem (I work around it just fine at home) but it's
something to take into account.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles         (248) 377-7735        ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "Suffering is good for the soul, but it is usually best to wait until
  the body has no choice in the matter."  -  Stephen Donaldson