Re: Is there any FREE alternative for libdb2 in debian?

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Fabrizio Polacco wrote:

> Wojciech Zabolotny wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > Last time I've read the libdb2 copyright statement and stated, that it
> > hardly can be considered a "free" library
>
> Well, ... ehrmmm ... that copyright can be considered quite similar to
> GPL (when applyed to libraries, like the case of libreadline):
> it's free to use only in free programs.
> That is probably considered compatible with GPL, as FSF will add libdb2
> to a future version of glibc.

I thought, that the main goal of GPL license is to give a warranty that
the source of the software and derived works will be ALWAYS freely
available.
I can't see such warranty in the libdb2 license :-(.
I hope I'm wrong.

				Wojtek Zabolotny
				wzab@ipe.pw.edu.pl