Re: legality of mailing Debian CDs from US to overseas?

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, John B. Fink wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I've just started a scheme for sending Debian x86 CDs (the
> "binary-i386.raw" images) free of charge to educational/non-profit
> institutions and affiliates --
> http://adler.lib.muohio.edu/~jbfink/debian-giveaway.  As of today I've
> sent out seven CDs -- three to US addresses, one to Canada, one to Sweden,
> one to Indonesia, and one to the People's Republic of China.  I am located
> in the U.S.
>
> Now -- my question is, can I get into any trouble by "exporting" CD-R of
> Debian Linux?  I'm just sending burns of the "binary-i386.raw" images that
> I get via rsync.  My primary worry (all of a sudden -- I guess I should've
> thought of this beforehand but I was *pretty* sure it was okay) is strong
> crypto and the (imho, half-asswd) U.S. munitions export laws concerning
> crypto over 40bit.
>
> I just want to make sure I can continue my Debian Giveaway project without
> fear of the FBI or some mysterious foreign government equivalent pounding
> down my door.
>
> Any information or advice would be appreciated!

You shouldn't have any problems as long as you do not include any of the
non-us packages on the CD.  You should probably avoid such countries as
Cuba, Libya, Iraq, etc. (the Postal Service has the complete list), where
special export permission is required (and probably won't be given).