need pop3 mail client that leaves mail on server

I have managed to get my low-speed ppp connection (about 6k max)
running.  The connection itself is stable, but text sessions are not;
they seem to hang.  So netscape and ftp (other than to the ppp host)
work, but xterm, rsh, etc. do not.  IRC in the client is stable, but
running it in a window on the host hangs.

The host is also my regular machine, where my mail lives.

I need to get at my mail, without transferring it all (the digests
would take several minutes, and several of my mailing list I only read
small parts of.

So what I need is something that will get at my mail on the host, while
running on the laptop/client, but leave the mail on the host,
transferring only the subject/author unless i choose to read a message.

It would be even nicer if it could use the folders and .maildelivery
from exmh, but i can live with everything living in inbox

rick