RE: X server problems

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Kenneth Scharf wrote:

> I have always been able to get a virtural terminal by typing
> <ctrl><alt><f1> once the xdm process started.

The problem is that when xdm cannot start, it keep retrying.
<ctrl><alt><f1> may get you to a console, but as soon as xdm
retries, gone again. Single user mode seems to be the only
way out, until editing the startup files.

> Braden N. McDaniel writes:
>  > Now when I boot the machine, my monitor goes to sleep as soon as the
> boot
>  > sequence has completed. I *think* this is because I elected to being
> xdm up
>  > at bootup when I initially installed everything, and now that
> setting is
>  > kicking in. I suspect the problem may be that the X server has not
> yet been
>  > properly configured. How can I get to a prompt so I can run
> xf86config?

*   For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,  *
*   that whoever believes in Him should not perish...    John 3:16  *
* W. Paul Mills              *  Topeka, Kansas, U.S.A.              *
* EMAIL= Paul@Mills-USA.com  *  WWW= http://Mills-USA.com/          *
* Bill, I was there several years ago, why would I want to go back? *
************ pgp public key emailto: key@mills-usa.com *************/