Re: Supra 56K PNP Modem Not Working

It seems that I am to be the doomsayer of Diamond modems.  Folks, if you
plan on using Linux, don't buy one!  You weren't very specific about your
modem.  Some of the older Diamond Supra modems are actually accessible to
Linux, but it's not easy to set them up.  The newer PCI modems are
memory-mapped.  That means that they don't use an ioport to do serial
communications (like the rest of the world).  The drivers are proprietary.
The Supra Express series is implemented all in hardware, so it may not be
too hard to write a driver for them -- though it still hasn't been done.
The SupraMax is a controllerless modem -- that means that everything
except the DSP is on the board, and the driver handles all of the raw data
at the CPU.  This would require a much more extensive Linux driver.  I've
contacted Diamond about getting some specs, but they haven't responded (I
don't expect much).  Anyway, I hope that your modem is one of the older
ones mentioned before.  Otherwise...

Joe

P.S.  You can search the debian-user archive for previous discussions of
this subject.  You're the third or fourth person I've told about this
problem.