Re: Help ppp

At 04:52 PM 10/1/1998 +0000, you wrote:
>Hello again.. More problems, i have tried to solve this myself but
>things isnt getting any better :(.
>
>1. "pppconfig" doesnt exist, but "ppp" exists..
>
>2. What access method shall i choose?

Since you presumably don't have any network connection (no ppp and
presumably no ethernet), you've probably installed the base system via CD,
in which case I'd use the CD method.

If you do have an ethernet connection, you can use either the CD or the FTP
method.

If you've only installed via floppy the base system, and don't have a CD,
I'm not sure what you need to do. My guess would be that you'd have to
download the pppconfig package to floppy from another machine that is
networked, and then use the floppy method. Or perhaps you could download
the pppconfig package to another partition (ie Windows) on your hard drive
and install from it. In either of these latter two cases
(floppy/partition), I'm on virgin territory and don't know what I'm doing.
Hopefully you have a CD so you can do the install that way.

Alternatively, and I don't know if this will work, you could create the
/etc/ppp/peers/provider script and the /etc/chatscripts provider script by
hand. I *think* all pppconfig does is automate that process, but it may do
more; I just don't know. Look for those two files and if you can, modify
them to fit your situation (phone number, username, password, modem
location, etc) and then see if you can pon. If you don't find those files,
let me know and I'll send them to you and you can modify them for your
situation.

Kent

Kent West, Technology Support
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu
Abilene Christian Univ., Abilene, TX
915-674-2557  FAX: 915.674.6724
Amateur Radio: KC5ENO
Debian Linux: Ride the wave with the penguins!