Re: Dewbie Question: How can I install rpm package

On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 10:08:36AM -0500, Jianbo Zhang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just download sybase ase, it is in rpm format. I do not know how to
> install it in Debian. I am using Debian 2.0. Any help would be highly
> appreciated.

There is a debian rpm package but...it doesn't work on its own (not
being a distro which uses rpm we don't have the RPM package information and
databases it needs) but...
you can install alien which uses rpm.

my advice...I have used alien only a few times...
do this:

alien -tc RPMFILE.rpm

then you will have a tarball (RPMFILE.tgz) in the directory.
make a new dir temp and untar it into temp (mv RPMFILE.tgz temp;cdtemp; tar
 xvf *)

This will give you a chance to look at it. I would recommend installin git by
hand into /usr/local

-Steve
E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"