Re: more modem

> >> Just as a test, I'd try the following command:
> >>
> >> echo ATDT(some_phone_number) > /dev/ttyS0
> >>
> >> and see if you hear the modem pick up and dial. If you've got a second
> phone
> >> line (or cell phone, etc), you can dial it and answer it and hear yourself
> >> talking to yourself (if you've got a speaker on the modem).
> >>
> >> echo ATH > /dev/ttyS0 to hang up the line.
> >> echo ATZ > /dev/ttyS0 to reset the modem.
> >>
> >> If this test works, it'll verify that Linux and your modem will work
> together,
> >> and that the hardware is okay.
> >
> >I tried this on my system, which has a working modem and ppp connection, and
> >it didn't do anything.

I missed what kind of modem you have.  I have a Diamond SupraMax, and it
won't work.  If you look at the current Red Hat hardware compatibility
list, they mention that Diamond memory-mapped PCI modems are not currently
supported in the kernel.  I have contacted Diamond about getting enough
info. to write a driver, but I haven't heard anything back.  I don't know
if other modems use a similar scheme, but you might want to check on the
Red Hat site (www.redhat.com -- go to installation support, then down to
hardware compatibility lists).

hope that helps,
Joe