umask / permission problems with FTP

I'm having problems with setting the correct umask for files.

All my users belong to the groups users.  I am using hamm.
I need their files to be 644 and directories 755.
Their home directories are in /var/www and are serving virtual domains.
Here's what I know:

A. /var/www is umask 022
B. /var/www/user is umask 022
C. When into the shell in their home directory (/var/www/user) directory
and file permissions are created fine but not from and FTP client - I have
tried several and always permissions are 750/640.

I don't understand umask very well but I know 022 is what I want.  What
file needs to be changed so that FTP clients will see the right mask?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.  I am a Slackware convert and find it hard to leave some of my old
ways (one group for users).  Is this going to cause me problems down the
road since it is not Debian's default?

*       Fraser M. Campbell - available for employment        *
*      Email: fraser@greynet.net  Phone: (519) 364-6115      *
*                http://www.greynet.net/fraser/              *