Re: "Can't load default font 'fixed'"

In <[🔎] 199809252240.RAA26146@lulu.acns.nwu.edu>, on 09/25/98
   at 05:40 PM, Evan Van Dyke <e-van@nwu.edu> said:

>I'm trying to get Xfree up and running...  and can't run XF86Setup, so I
>ran XF86Config.
>I've set it for the VGA-16 server, just to make sure I can get something
>running, but
>I get the error message:  "Can't load default font 'fixed'" or something
>very close to that
>when I run 'startx'.  As root, of course.  Any ideas?  And thanks to the

Well, do you have any font installed?  Installing only a few packages of
the x stuff may very well leave you without fonts or other necessary
items.

Run dselect.  Read the comments for all the packages in the X11 sections.
What you need to get X up and running is documented there, and you may
find other interesting items too.  The server package alone isn't enough,
you need at least a couple of others.

Helge Hafting

helge.hafting@daldata.no