Manpage

Subject:     Manpage
   Date:     Sat, 26 Sep 1998 12:15:48 PDT
   From:     "Gregory Walther" <pressf1@hotmail.com>

Sorry to bother everyone with such a simple question. Or maybe it's not
so simple, I don't know.

I installed debian 2.0 and I cannot get the "man" pages to work.

There is much I don't know about the OS, (newbie). I need to learn how
to setup and run the system. The manpages would be a very good place to
start.

I asked this same question somewhere else last week. The response I got
made me more confused. The respondent said use "groff." OK, what is it
and how do I use it.

I noticed on one web site that the lack of manpage setup on installation

is considered a bug in the package.

At this point in my learning process I need detailed step-by-step
instructions on how to do things in the system.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Gregory
pressf1@hotmail.com

Hi Gregory,

I can feel for you, I too am a novice using debian/linux, and I have
experienced the same.  I've dedicated quite a bit of my time to looking
for the information I'm interested in, rather than asking questions.
Asking questions is my last resort.

I think that I can point you in the right direction.  I do not use
"deselect" to download or install packages, its just too confusing for
me.
Therefore, I will give you the manual procedures which I use to
accomplish
the same.  Its a bit tedious, but I get a more exposure to the system
doing it my way.  (Frank Sinatra was great!)

Here goes:

  1.  Access any site you use.

  2.  Enter into the debian distribution and look for a file called,
      "packages".  It is available in clear text and zipped, your
choice.

  3.  Download "packages", it will become your main reference for
learning
      which packages are available using debian, and what are their
      requirements.

  4.  As you peruse the packages list you will come across what follows:

      (Take a look below at the extracts from the package list.)

  5.  In each package description, there is a line which starts with
      "Depends:", those are critical packages needed to successfully
      install the package.

  6.  After the "Package: man-db", you will find two other packages
which
      you should condsider installing.  They should make your life
easier.

  7.  After installing a package, you should practice checking out the
      documentation which is distributed with the package.  You should
      find that information in "/usr/doc/<package-name>".

  8.  There is a lot of great information out there, but it takes time
      look for it.

  I hope that you're now pointed in a direction that you're comfortable
  with.

  Go get em "Tiger"!

  Bert

Package: man-db
Version: 2.3.10-67
Section: doc
Maintainer: Fabrizio Polacco <fpolacco@debian.org>
Depends: groff, libc6, libdb2 (>= 2.3.16)
Suggests: bsdmainutils
Conflicts: man, man-aeb
Provides: man, man-browser
Replaces: man, man-aeb, nlsutils
Architecture: i386
Filename: dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/doc/man-db_2.3.10-67.deb
Size: 278658
MD5sum: d064e94cffa19d61c51bb7d2e18b0268
 This packages provides the man command, this utility is the primary
 way of examining the on-line help files (manual pages). Other utilities

 provided include the whatis and apropos commands for searching the
 manual page database; the manpath utility for determining the manual
 page search path and the maintenance utilities mandb, catman and
 zsoelim. This package uses the groff suit of programs to format and
 display the manual pages.
installed-size: 598

Package: doc-debian
Version: 1.9
 The doc-debian package provides the current Debian-FAQ (in
 postscript, dvi, text and GNU info form) and the Debian Manual
 as well as several other bits of information about Debian.

 All files are available at ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/doc and
 mirrors thereof.
 installed-size: 466

Package: info
Version: 3.12-0.1
 This program allows you to view Info documents, like the ones
 stored in /usr/info.  Much of the software in Debian comes
 with its on-line documentation in the form of Info files.
 .
 You can also browse Info documentation using GNU Emacs.
 installed-size: 196
 source: texinfo