Re: X locks at -bpp 16

David Densmore wrote:
> John Forest wrote:
>
> >David Densmore wrote:
> >
> >>I have a Diamond SpeedStar Pro with CL-GD5426 chip and am running
> >>the svga X server.
> >>
> >>It works fine when I run it at -bpp 8, but at -bpp 16 it starts with
> >>a completely black background and the mouse freezes as soon as I place
> >>the xterm window on the screen (still using TWM).  After a couple of
> >>minutes the mouse will unfreeze and I can move it around the edge of
> >>the screen, but if I move it over the xterm window it will freeze
> >>again.
> >>
> >>Does anyone know what to do about this?
> >
> >Perhaps you have more than 16 meg of ram?  I had a similar problem with a
> >5426; it work before a memory upgrade, not after.
> >Although my symptoms were quite different.
> >
> >see: /usr/lib/X11/doc/README.cirrus for more information.
>
> Yes, I have 32 meg of ram.  So you mean that I have *too much* ram?
> As in it would work if I took out 16 meg?  How unexpected.
>
> Is there any modification I can make to XF86Config to get this to work?
>
> Thanks,
> David Densmore <dden@rollanet.org>

After checking my notes, it wasn't a 5426 I had problems with it was a 5429.
Depending on the video card it can be mapped into an area just
above 16 meg.  It depends on the address lines on the card. If certain ones
are not there you will not be able to use it in 16bit, since that requires the
linear option in the XF86Config file, which maps the card's memory into
address space. (check /usr/lib/X11/doc/README.cirrus)
If that is the case no setting in XF86Config will fix that.

The 5426 was mapped into >64mb, it worked. It needed
	membase 0x04e00000
	option "linear"
statements  in XF86Config.
The 5429 I couldn't make work at all in 16bit. (Many CtrAltDel reboots!)
My solution was to get a PCI board with a matrox card. :)

John.