Re: Installation (again)

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Menno Scholten wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I received some mail about my problem but it still insn't solved. Can you
 give me an exact description of what to do. When I select Install Linux
 Kernel etc. it ask me for the medium I want to use. After selecting
 "mounted partition", is akes me "please choose the directory were the
 Debian archive resides (that would be C:\debian). Then it says Please
 select the directory containing a file RES1440.bin that will be used to
 install". After selecting "manually" its says :"Please enter the home of
 the dit that contains the Archives". This is exactly what happens at my
 computer. Not asking for partitions or so just this. So could you give me
 an exact discription.

> m.scholten@wxs.nl
> By the way thanks for all the mail I received from people trying to help me.

You will need to mount the dos drive first, and then tell it where that
drive/directory is. e.g.

During install, type Alt-F2 (I Think - can't remember) to get a new
console. type in 'mount -t vfat /dev/hdxx /[mount-point]'

where hdxx is your dos partition (i.e. hda1 for the first partition on the
primary IDE drive) and [mount-point] is where on the ext2 filesystem you
want it available. (i.e. /mnt  - the directory MUST exist)

Then, tell the install program the path to the distribution files (i.e.
/mnt/debian)

That should do it.

HTH,

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)