Re: Win98 <=> Linux via E-net

> I am trying to setup my home LAN with a Win98 machine and a Linux machine
> with ethernet.  I have successfully setup the ethernet NIC but I am not
> sure what to do next.  I want to be able to copy files from the Win98
> machine to the Linux hard drive using explorer.  I also want to be able to
> connect to the internet with the Win98 box's modem, but access the internet
> with the Linux machine.  Anybody out there done this already?  I appreciate
> any tips or suggestions.

The 1st task: by installing Samba on your Linux Box and
exporting your CD-ROM, Home directory etc. etc.

The 2nd task can be done, by using your Win95 machine as
your default gateway.

# route add default gw "IP address of win95 machine" dev eth0

The reverse can be done (ie. modem on your Linux box, and
browsing on your Win95 Box) by enabling IP-Forwarding and
setting up IP-masquerading.

Saisanthosh. B                         |             santhosh@softhome.net