xemacs' "HTML [html]" mode?

I've been working on my personal web page with xemacs recently.  Just
today, it started acting goofy on its own.

When I open xemacs 20.4 with my .html file, the first time I press the
TAB key to indent for me, xemacs runs some things off across the
bottom (the "status" area), ending with "parsing prolog..."  Then my
modline changes from (HTML), to (HTML [html]), and indent doesn't work
properly (at all).

I tried explicity going back to HTML mode (Meta-X html-mode), but when
I hit TAB again, it just does the goofy [html] thing.

This is driving me nuts.

Any hints?