Re: Voice Chatscript

David Stern writes:
> I tried making my modem init string AT&C0DT, but my modem still hangs up
> after about 10 s.

That won't help.  Try ATS7=255.  That will tell the modem to wait 255
seconds for carrier.

> ISP-Connectivity mini-howto says: "Chat sends your_init_string to the
> modem, then dials isp_number. It then waits for CONNECT, then ..", so I'm
> thinking that maybe chat still expects CONNECT, even if carrier detect is
> overridden at the modem level.  That would cause no further action, as
> occurs.

This is misleading.  chat is a very simple program that knows nothing about
modems, dialing, carrier detect, or "CONNECT".  It just reads its standard
input looking for the current 'expect' string and when it finds it writes
the corresponding 'send' string to its standard output and moves on to the
next expect-send pair.  chat will not expect "CONNECT" unless you tell it
to.

man chat.