Re: Voice Chatscript

On 24 Sep 1998 10:11:18 CDT, wrote:
> David Stern writes:
> > I tried writing a chatscript, but my modem hangs up, presumably because
> > there's no handshake on the other end (I hear the automated voice on the
> > other end after answering, then after about 10 seconds my modem hangs
> > up).  I see chat is intended for use with pppd, and I didn't see any
> > options to disable the handshake expectation.
>
> There is no implicit handshake.  Chat works just as the man page says it
> does.  Your problem is that your modem is giving up when it gets no
> carrier.  Look in your modem manual for the AT command string to tell it
> not to do this.

Oh yeah .. I forgot that after the handshake, CONNECT is sent. I think
what I need is to override carrier detect, so I tried making my modem
init string AT&C0DT, but my modem still hangs up after about 10 s.

ISP-Connectivity mini-howto says: "Chat sends your_init_string to the
modem, then dials isp_number. It then waits for CONNECT, then ..", so
I'm thinking that maybe chat still expects CONNECT, even if carrier
detect is overridden at the modem level.  That would cause no further
action, as occurs.

As much as I'd like to use chat so that I obtain the abort on no
dialtone directive (to be able to cancel redialing remotely by leaving
myself a voicemail which invokes a stutter dialtone and causes no
dialtone to be activated), maybe I should just do this quick and dirty
by not using a comm program, because they probably all expect CONNECT
(at least I've seen no way to disable this in minicom or ckermit,) and
just access the modem directly.  What's the procedure for blindly
sending commands to the modem?  I've tried "echo ATDT777-7777 >
/dev/modem" from the command line, but all I get is a modem click.

I'm a little surprised that with all the options and params I can't
just "unselect" the carrier detect for the comm program.  Back in the
days, I used to do this using DOS 2.0 on a 80286 with Hayes SmartComm,
.. I think.<heh heh!>  Hmmm .. I wonder if there is a voice auto-dialer
program I can write a script file for, and if so, what would such an
animal be called?

Thanks John and other Debian people,

David Stern
dstern@u.washington.edu