permission (?) problem with smartlist

I have installed smartlist and procmail for my debian system (hamm on
pentium hardware, running sendmail).

I am gradually getting apache and Email set up on the machine as it's
going to move to be hosted by a commercial ISP when I transfer my lists
and WWW services out of the university here.  I think the list manager
I want to use is smartlist (majordomo seems a bit less friendly) but
I'm failing to install smartlist.

The INSTALL instructions in
                   /usr/doc/smartlist/INSTALL
refer to an install.sh script which doesn't
seem to exist.  I assume it's actions have been migrated into the
dpkg/dselect installation.  If I'm right then it's not the first time
and, bearing in mind the recent reviews of Linuxes, I'd rate it as
much the biggest problem for newbies to Debian: you end up not feeling
you trust
any documentation as it's so often clearly inconsistent with the
installation you've got.

OOPPS: flame off....

I've followed the instructions to create a user slist and then
to use createlist and I've created the new aliases and run newalias.
However, when I email the new list request (list is named test,
very original...) I get the following.

----- Forwarded message from Mail Delivery Subsystem -----