Re: remote

On Wed, Sep 23, 1998 at 07:29:07PM -0400, Phillip Neumann shared with us the following words of wisdom:
> Hello,
>
> How can i access my X programs from another computer? I can telnet to
> me. Can i with telnet? how? Do i need to call from a UNIX maschine too?

assuming you are telnetting from an other unix box:
on the box you are telnetting FROM:

xhost +box.you.are.telnetting.to

and on the box you are telnetting TO:

export DISPLAY=box.you.are.telnetting.from:0.0

(this is assuming you are using bash or similar. in csh and tcsh,
use setenv nstead. See the documentation of your shell for more
information about how to set environment variables)

And now you can launch whatever X apps you want and they will be displayed
on the box you are telnetting from. If you can, set up ssh on both boxes,
and have sshd running on the box you want to connect to, and then X forwarding
will be done automatically (i.e no need for 'export DISPLAY' and 'xhost +'
commands) if you connect with ssh instead of telnet (this is a good thing to
do anyway, since it's hell of a lot more secure than telnet).

I know there are X servers for WinXX and MacOS too, but I have no experience
with any of those so I can't give you any advice there.

HTH
+         Peter Granroth         +  Microsoft is NOT the answer  +
+ mailto:devnull@granroth.ml.org +   Microsoft is the question   +
+     http://granroth.ml.org     +       The answer is NO        +