Re: ISDN question

Greg Vence wrote:

> G. Kapetanios wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I have the ooportunity to have an ISDN line instead of modem at my home. I
> > was wondering whether having an ISDN connection is straighforward with
> > debian ? there is a package in hamm called isdnutils. However,
> > what I found on the net was a FAQ (rather old) for a package called
> > isdn4linux. Are these the same ? Any ideas about a good external terminal
> > adpter ? Any other manuals around ?
> > Thanks very much for any help
> > George
> >
> It appears that the most popular configuration is to use ISDN routers on
> a network.  This removes the need to work with an ISDN device and look
> at it as another Network address.  I'm looking at the NetGear product
> for economy.  Others seem to like Ascend, but they're significantly
> more.
>
> I have a SpellCaster card that I'm going to replace with a router...  It
> is a little flakey.  (I use it in Win95 & linux).
>
> Of cousre USA ISDN != Other ISDN...

I've been using an external Zyxel Omni TA 128U for two years now and it's performed
flawlessly (in a business environment) day-in and day-out. I use diald to dial
on-demand and just tell the TA to do Sync-to-async conversion, then the regular pppd
does the rest.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com