Re: ip acct and devel. kernel

You (Stephen J. Carpenter) wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 1998 at 08:55:15PM -0700, Max wrote:
> > Is there something special I need to do to be able to use IP
> > accounting with the development kernel (2.1.121)?  /proc/net/ip_acct
> > doesn't exist and programs such as ipacset and ipfwadm complain about
> > it.  What's going on?  Do I need to enable IP firewalling in the
> > kernel?  If so, that option is greyed out and I have no idea how to
> > ungrey it so that I can enable it.
>
> ipfwadm doesn't work. 2.1.x kernels (later than 98 I think...I am not sure
> since when) use a completely differnt way of working.
>
> The new command is ipchains and is completely differnt...
> for a quick and easy cheat... there is ipfwadm-wrapper
> heres the manpage snippit:
> DESCRIPTION
>        Ipfwadm-wrapper emulates the behaviour of ipfwadm. You can
>        use this wrapper to use your old  ipfwadm  firewall  rules
>        with ipchains. See ipfwadm(8) for more details.
>
> both are found on my debian system as part of netbase

Thanks for your help, but it looks like I still need to enable IP
firewalling in the kernel because I get the following message with
ipfwadm-wrapper:

Generic IP Firewall Chains not in this kernel

ipchains -L reports:

ipchains: cannot open file `/proc/net/ip_fwnames'

The question is how to enable firewalls when that option is greyed out
in the kernel configuration menu.  Any clues?

Thanks,
    Max