Re: pcmcia scsi

On 22 Sep, Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
> Hi all,
> I would like to buy a pcmcia scsi card for my laptop. Can someone suggest me a
> model that is know it works with Debian linux?

There is a complete list of supported cards at
http://hyper.stanford.edu/~dhinds/pcmcia/SUPPORTED.CARDS

Unfortunately, there is no information as to how well each one works.

Anything listed as a supported card is supported by the pcmcia
package(s) distributed as part of Debian, though you may have to
recompile the pcmcia modules to match your kernel.  Anything listed as
supported by a contributed driver is not (yet) supported by the Debian
packages, though you can probably add the contributed drivers in
yourself fairly easily.  I have a recent New Media Bus Toaster, which
is only supported by a contributed driver; however, it was fairly easy
to rebuild the pcmcia package to include the new driver, and it has
worked well for me.  I've used a CDROM, a Syquest EZ-drive and a
Seagate tape backup with it.  The Bus Toaster was also relatively
inexpensive (I got mine at an auction), which made a big difference in
my decision.

HTH,
--
Stephen Ryan                   Debian GNU/Linux
Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College