Re: One last chance

john mcpeek <j_mcpeek@bellsouth.net> writes:

> Hi all,
>  O.K. no one can write a driver for a network adapter to use the LPT in
> w95.  (I know I can't) This is what I want to do.  I want to plip some
> files from my win95 box(bob) to my
> Linux box(hal).  I was reading "Another FAT 32 question" and it sounds
> like I can install
> Debian to a FAT32 partition and boot it up from the dos prompt and not
> affect the hard drive or my win95 install at all.

You can do it. See:
http://www.gedanken.demon.co.uk/linux/looproot.html#toc4

With 2.0 I have not found a way to trick the install program into
installing in a mounted loopback device. So you need to transfer a
rather huge file from you linux box now...

(I heard it is possible with the Debian 1.3.1 install program --- I
haven't tried yet).

>  I need to verify that
> before I continue because I have critical stuff on bob and can't afford
> to wreck the OS or files.  Then just to get it in before
> it comes up, get me started on NFS if that is within the realm of
> possibility.

Easiest permanent solution is to buy two cheap ne2000 compatibles
(around US$ 20 each here in Germany) and some cable.

Jens

--
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de       grimaldi@debian.org
KeyID: 2048/E451C639 1998/01/28