Re: adding SCSI disks

[snip] problem description

> >sdf/sdg/sdh/whatever and the machine won't boot. how can I change
> >lilo.conf before adding new disks to let the machine boot again? I know
> >it can be done (it's done at the end of debian config, when the istall
> >program asks: do you want to boot from hd?)
> >I have tried with
> >lilo -C path-to-lilo.conf -i path-to-boot.b
> >but it complained about not finding /vmlinuz ..

> First - create a rescue diskette if you haven'd done so already.  This
> will save you if all else fails.

done! actually, the machine is running (with 4+1 disks)

> Try just running 'lilo' without paramters, verifying that the current
> setup is ok.  Try a reboot.

it works - by now

> Use 'man lilo' and 'man lilo.conf'.  Read the text carefully, it tells you
> all you need to know inorder to set up lilo
> properly.  (You edit /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo.)

I did this .. read above. it complained not being able to find the kernel
I booted anyway and it hung

> Before you add drives, change lilo.conf.  There are a couple
> of commands you need to change - the selections for what device you want
> to read the kernel from, and what device
> you want to mount as root.  You should also update
> /etc/fstab.  (Use 'man fstab' if you need help on that.)

was i so stupid i forgot this?

> lilo may complain because you haven't added the drives yet.  Don't worry,
> just shutdown and install your drives.
> If the machine won't boot afterwards, use the rescue floppy.
> Fix anything that may be wrong ind lilo.conf and rerun lilo.

this is my problem .. well, maybe with your hint (/etc/fstab) it could have
worked .. i don't know how to fix lilo.conf because, if i boot with a rescue
disk, it won't mount the real / ..

> Lilo should not complain at this point.  Also make sure that
> /etc/fstab is correct.  Running out of scsi devices in /dev
> is possible, make sure that doesn't happen.

probably, after mounting 9 disks, we'd probably change the case or use larger
disks, so this won't be a problem

thanks for your suggestions. i'll try them