Re: Samba

King Lee wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks to Nagler and others who replied:
>
> > >I'm running bo, and I've installed samba. When, from the command line
> > >I type
> > >
> > >    smbd -D
> > >
> > >and then
> > >    ps -aux | grep smbd
> > >
> > >I do not see the smbd running.  When I  look in /var/log I get
> > >
> > >   Added interface ip=127.0.0.1 bcast=127.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
> > >   bind failed on port 139 socket_addr=0 (Address already in use)
> <snip>

I think you need to specify actual network interface in smb.conf. Try
man smb.conf and search for interface. Is there any special reason that
you need to bind it to loopback interface?

> I fiddled around with the network  and the message
> about failing to bind went away.
> Samba seems to work - I can use it as a print server. However, I
> am puzzled about why  don't see a smbd process running when
> enter
>      ps -aux | grep smbd
>
> If smbd is called by nmbd, then do I have to run it in the rc.d
> scripts as suggensted in documentation.

I think if you can't see smbd from ps, then smbd is probably not
running. smbd and nmbd are for different purpose and are not calling
each other. Try my suggestion above first and see what happens.

--
Guoqiang Dai
gqdai@home.com