Re: Shared Lib problem

On Mon, Sep 21, 1998 at 12:13:19PM +1200, technical@manux.co.nz wrote:
> I'm having problems using some software downloaded from the net (netscape,
> StarOffice etc etc).

Apperantly you didn't use the installer packages provided for these.

> I'll use the setup for StarOffice as an example of the problem. But
> neither netscape, nor acrobat work either, and crash with similar
> problems.

You don't have all the libc5 libraries these programs require installed.
Using the installer packages would have taken care of that.

> It seems that libc6 is not required, it has libc5 (latest and last
> version), so why does ldd report a requirement for libc6 ?

Because ldd shows you what libraries a binary will be loaded against. In
this case, the binary depends on the libc5 version of a particular library,
which isn't available; therefore, the dynamic loader will load it against
the libc6 version, causing havoc.

HTH,
Ray
--
J.H.M. Dassen                 | RUMOUR  Believe all you hear. Your world may
jdassen@wi.LeidenUniv.nl      | not be a better one than the one the blocks