Re: SVGALib, Xpert@Play and sQuake/Quake II

On Fri, Sep 18, 1998 at 07:35:44PM -0500, Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:

> > > Er, que? (spot the newbie sysadmin...)
> >
> > Which seems okay to me - the top one is the libc5 maths library, the bottom
> > one is the libc5 C library and the middle one is the libc5 vga library.
>
> 	I am having exactly the same problem with squake on my Debian 2.0
> system as well, only I have a Matrox Millium(sp?) card. 'ldd `which
> squake.real`' gives me:

Matrox Millenium isn't particularly well supported by SVGAlib at the moment.
I have an improved patch here, but I'm a bit wary of some trimmed security
patches which are in the upstream release  - the fewer patches we apply the
better, however we don't want to compromise security.  Have you tried other
SVGAlib programs.

>       libm.so.5 => /lib/libm.so.5 (0x4000b000)
>       libvga.so.1 => /usr/lib/libvga.so.1 (0x40014000)
>       libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5 (0x40051000)
>       libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4010f000)
>       ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x401b4000)
>
> Something is definetely wierd here, as linking to two libc (different
> versions no less) can not be good for the health. I have tried different
> values for LD_LIBRARY_PATH and LD_PRELOAD, but to no avail.

Have you tried "unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH; unset LD_PRELOAD" - you may be
forcing something nasty upon squake.

> 	The only lead I have on this is that Netscape 4.x was giving me
> simular problems to this as well. If I hand installed a copy of netscape
> into /usr/local/..., it would segfault on start, and an ldd showed that
> that it has also linked to both libc's, 5 and 6. When I feed the debian
> wrapper package for netscape the same tar.gz distrib file as I had used to
> install manually, netscape magically got installed in such a way that it
> looks for only libc5.

Wierd - the netscape wrapper script doesn't appear to do anything to the
library loading.  "ldd /usr/lib/netscape/netscape" shows libc5 stuff only.

What are the contents of /etc/ld.so.conf? Here are mine:
/usr/X11R6/lib/neXtaw
/usr/X11R6/lib/Xaw3d
/usr/local/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/libc5-compat
/lib/libc5-compat

> 	From this, I suspect that the problem has little to do with svga
> lib or video cards, but with messed up linking. I need to look at the
> source to the debian wrapper package for netscape, the answer probably
> lies there, but I have not had time yet.
> 	My two cents, hope they help!

I agree - the dynamic loader seems to have got confused what versions of
these packages are you using (dpkg -s package-name):

libc5 5.4.38-11
libc6 2.0.7t-1
ldso  1.9.9-5

I'm running slink (aka unstable) - last upgraded about a fortnight ago (two
weeks for Americans and other non-English readers <g>) so your versions are
likely to be a bit older.

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Debian Linux  http://www.debian.org  The superior Linux distribution