Re: Naming machines on network.

Chris Hoover wrote:

> I need some advise on how to name the machines on my network.  Here is
> the current setup:
>
> internet-----------machine1-----------hub------------machine2
>
> My isp has given me a name of ci1000135-a.grnvle1.sc.home.com with a
> static ip.
> I also have aquired the name choover.ml.org for the same ip.
>
> Is it possible for a machine to have more than one name (i.e. I'd like
> to know machine 1 as waxman.choover.ml.org).  Also, what should I name
> machine2 (I'd like tux.choover.ml.org).  I'm using ip masq. on machine 1
> to hide my network which consists of private ip's (192.168.1.1
> 192.168.1.2).

I think you need to setup your own dns server and config ml.org to point
to it. Then you can give machine1 whatever name under your own domain
(i.e. choover.ml.org). You can name your machine2 to whatever you like
because it won't be accessable directly from Internet.

> So far, everything is working as far as internet access from both
> machines.  However machine 2's mail is screwed up, and from comments an
> a previous question, it looks like a naming issue.

Don't know the details of your setup.

> Also, is it possible for me to set up the network where I can access
> either machine from the internet?

I think you need things like redir.