Re: REMOVE!!! (there must be a better way)

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:

>Even better, we could bring our list technology into the '80s and do a
>multipart/alternative message format with an HTML alternative which provided a
>sophisticated mailto: tag and include the subject, body, and the whole thing in the
>link.

Please NO!  Some of us still use the simple mailers!!  Let's not
complicate things for the few people who want to LEAVE to list and make it
ugly for those who're staying.

if people can follow simple directions "write email to this address" to
subscribe then surely there's a way to teach them to do the same to
unsubscribe.

Perhaps:
1) recraft the wording of the welcome message saying more specifically how
to leave the list.  also remind the caller to save that email for
reference (some of them might!)

2) put a nice blurb of the debian web pages (specifically the subscription
page) saying how to get off the lists for as long as it takes to automate
that process.  if people join from the web page they're probably going to

3) make the tag line non specific.  how about "send a blank email to
help@debian.org" (or whatever) that'll auto-reply with a document telling
exactly what is needed and why.  Or make it list specific and send mail to
debian-user-help@debian.org.  That way we can send back subscription
information (for those writing to that address who are not subscribed),
unsubscription information, the introduction message and whatever other
details are deemed suitable.

above all ... this message is going out on EVERY mail through the list so
lets keep it as a simple, easy to understand pointer for people to get to
an information source with all they need to know on it..

0dave

--

   |     oOOooO           /  dsb3@earthlink.net
 --|    oOobodoO        /   We're just two lost souls, swimming in a
 --|     ooOoOo       /    fish bowl, year after year.  Running over