X Windows Startup

Hello

I am a new Linux user in Debian 2.0

i wanted to install a few things including X WIndows. i can enter the XWIN setup in the beginning and set up screen, graphic card, etc...
now debian wanted to launch X WINdows once again, and then i got my problem ! The whole stuff is hanging. i can still see the Prompt, but my screen is always changing colors from black to white. i cannot break it. i cannot even start a new session with ALT-F2. it sure shows me my new session, but i cannot type in it. so now i'm very helpless and i don't know what to do now !
I also had the same problem in Debian 1.3.1.  so far i could never get X FREE running......
i cannot set up anything on my computer now, because it launches automatically X WINDOWS

maybe you want to know a few devices on my computer

i have a VIPER 330 video card, a DEAWOO 15" screen
an AMD K6 200 MHZ with 96 Megs RAM

could you please help me to get windows running ?

thank you very much !

Andy Bierlair