Re: cable-modem woes (TCI/@HOME)

Stuart:

  I also have a cable modem with @HOME.   They are relativley easy to get working.
Set the ip of the nic they gave you to  24.1.106.xxx.  Then set the netmask to
255.255.255.0.  The gateway is 24.1.106.1.  Then use the DNS servers they gave you.
They should have given  you a name for your machine (mine is
ci1000135-a.grnvle1.sc.home.com) .  Your HOSTNAME = the first part (ci1000135-a in my
case).  In /etc/resolv.conf add the line "search = grnvle1.sc.home.com" - substitute
the grnvle1.sc.home.com for what ever yours is.  Then add "nameserver 24.1.64.zzz".
You can have as many name servers as you need, but only 1 per line.

  Make sure your kernel is compiled with support for your card (it appears that it
is).  If this does not make it work, you might need to compile ip-forwarding into
your kernel.  Also, make sure that you setup ipfwadm with firewall rules, since you
have a static IP.

Best of luck,

Chris