Re: Second try--can someone interpret these install boot messages?

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Curt Daugaard wrote:

[ snip ]

 :  	hd: controller still busy
 :   	hda: reset timed out: status=0xff { Busy DriveReady WriteFault
 :   		SeekComplete DataRequest CorrectedError Index Error }
 :   	hda: reset timed out: error=0xff { BadSector UncorrectableError
 :   		SectorIdNotFound DriveStatusError TrackZeroNotFound
 :   		AddrMarkNotFound }, CHS=65535/15/255, Sector=0

Drive looks toasted.  However ...

 : The weird thing: the CHS numbers don't match either what CMOS says
 : (under MSD in DOS) or what I pass to the kernel at the boot
 : prompt, i.e. hd=1010,12,55.  (The drive is a WD Caviar 340 MB.)

Try passing the geometry at the boot prompt:

	hda=1010,12,55

The "help" on the boot floppy is wrong, you can't say "hd=..."; you must
say hda, hdb, or whatever.

We intsalled on a Tandy machine the other dau that refused to work at
all unless we passed the drive's geometry with "hda=..." and also
specified "hdb=none"

You should get the Bootprompt-HOWTO.  It addresses many problems of this
type.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD