Re: ftape

Kenneth Scharf <scharkalvin@yahoo.com> writes:
KS> I read the sources to the latest ftape package (I downloaded the
KS> tarball from the ftape site) and it DOES NOT SUPPORT FORMATING
KS> TAPES.

(for definitions of "it" such that "it" is the Iomega 2GB and Ditto
Max drives.  ftape formats tapes fine on drives that support
formatting.)

KS> FOR THE DITTO 2G YOU MUST USE PREFORMATED TAPES!!!!!  This is
KS> because iomega is not linux friendly and the details had to be
KS> reverse engineered.

My understanding is that the drives themselves don't support
formatting; you can't even format the tape under DOS.

--
/                             \       "Dad was reading a book called