ftape

The latest ftape package (I'm not sure but I think the debian ftape
package NOT THE DRIVER IN THE KERNEL supports the ditto 2g drive.)  DO
NOT ENABLE FTAPE IN THE KERNEL CONFIG AND TRY TO BUILD IT IN.  ENABLE
IT AS A MODULE BUT DON'T BUILD THE KERNEL MODULE.  USE THE FTAPE
PACKAGE.

I read the sources to the latest ftape package (I downloaded the
tarball from the ftape site) and it DOES NOT SUPPORT FORMATING TAPES.
FOR THE DITTO 2G YOU  MUST USE PREFORMATED TAPES!!!!!  This is because
iomega is not linux friendly and the details had to be reverse
engineered.