Re: How to start PPP?

Kent West writes:
> I've got a minimal Debian > 2.0 system up and running (base install from
> the floppies and that's it). I've run pppconfig and told it to create a
> connection named "bub". I haven't found any documentation that tells me
> how to use this connection.

'pon bub' .  This is a bug in the pon man page.

> I've figured out that if I just type pon the system tries to use the
> "provider" connection...

This is the default, if pon is given no argument.  This is pon:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/pppd call ${1:-provider}

> But if I type pon bub (which is what I would have thought would've used
> the "bub" connection), all that happens is the system thinks for a couple
> of seconds and then returns me to a prompt.

Send me copies of /etc/chatscripts/bub, /etc/ppp/peers/bub,
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets if you are using PAP (munge the passwords) and the
output of the 'plog' command.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)