Re: ACK! Help me restore my console!

On Wed, Sep 16, 1998 at 09:33:52AM -0600, John Larkin wrote:
> > No... This is not the problem. As I said, X crashed. This makes the X
> > server quit without restoring the display, so you just get your X
> > desktop sitting there. You can restart X remotely, but when you exit,
> > it restores the previous mode, eg a graphical mode instead of a text
> > console. When I close my current (working) X session, I get static, my
> > monitor displays a "NO SIGNAL OR RANGE OUT SIGNAL" message and goes
> > into sleep mode.
> >
> [...]
> >
> > I did say that the console got FUBARd by killing the X server with -9,
> > perhaps my assumption that people on this list had prior experience
> > with this happening was unreasonable. Try it sometime, it's interesting.
>
> I don't think that's too unreasonable.  A while ago, the X server for
> my video card was quite unstable (ATI Mach64 w/chrontel ramdac), and I
> ended up needing to kill the xserver remotely about once every 2 or 3
> days (the xserver would take over the console and refuse to operate
> correctly).

interesting. I had a similar problem too...but..it happened only once
so far. I upgraded to kernel 2.1.119 and a few days later it happend.
It was BAD. I telnetted in from my girlfriends Mac.

I killed X and suddenly the screen went weird...verticle stripes...
AND the telnet connection DROPPED!

Then I couldn't even ping hal...even Magic Alt-Sysreq didn't help
had to hit the <shudder> reset button

>  After this happened, I got behavior slightly different
> than yours: my text consoles would be, for lack of a better phrase,
> fubar (so, does this deserve a "d" at the end, or perhaps a "-ed" to
> make it clear? Who knows?).  Anyway, it was still a valid video mode
> -- but it was a graphics mode, and it looked like the kernel was
> writing standard text into the video memory, yet the graphics card was
> interpreting it as graphics.  It looked bad, and nothing resembling
> text.  I tried all sorts of means of getting the text consoles back.
> Running svga programs, running X again and shutting down nicely, and
> using restoretextmode after I'd saved proper settings earlier.  The X
> server would work OK if I ran it again, but I was unable to get the
> text modes back without rebooting linux.

Did you try switching TTYs? alt-fn or cont-alt-fn ?

-Steve
E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"